Sunday 6 December 2009

NW Filming 30th November


Posted by Nick

On Monday the 30th of November, I took my final trip to our location, the woods behind my house to film the final sequence for our music video.

After we had completed our rough cut and shown it to the class, we received a lot of positive feedback from the class, and the general consensus was that our video was very near to completion, all that needed to be done was to speed up or slow down some shots. But as a group, we felt that the story we had been trying to portray in our video was not finished. So, we sat down after our first screening of the rough cut, and went through the video again, deciding to add in a sequence which we had not storyboarded, to fill up the final instrumental section, replacing shots of me, the lead singer, playing the drums around the woods, with a final battle between me and the snake; this way, we would be able to explain to the audience both mine, and the snakes purpose for being in the woods, thus finishing the ‘story’ we were trying to tell.

So, we set out into the woods, along with the drum kit and the snake and set about filming the sequence. We started off by filming a few reaction shots showing me seeing the snake approaching. Once we had done this we filmed the snake, in stop motion, approaching me, with both a POV shot, and one where the snake jumped up, giving the impression hopefully in the final cut that the snake was about to attack me. After this, we filmed a few shots with both me and the snake in, setting up the mood for the final showdown between man and reptile. Once this was complete we filmed a variety of shots, close ups, long shots, high angle, low angles of me attacking the snake on the ground as in the previous shot we had filmed me batting the snake away with the drum stand. Once this was complete, we did the final stop motion shot, of the snake moving towards a tree and then covering itself in leaves, giving the impression that it had been defeated in the battle and now chose to rest. The final shot of the day was of me walking away from the camera, with drum kit in hand, this was achieved by me standing against the camera lens and then walking away, which when we captured, seemed really effective as the shot was completely light then as I walked away more and more light came into the shot.

Overall, this was a very effective shoot as we now had the final component to our video and could now substitute it in, thus completing the story. In the editing process, we simply had to speed up the shots to fit it in to the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment